On Tuesday, 7th June 2022, MEC Sipho Hlomuka together with senior officials from the department
which were led by the Accounting Officer Mr Thando Tubane met with the KZN COGTA Portfolio Committee in Mayville, Durban as part of its general oversight of the work that is being carried out by the Department.
The meeting took place amidst the Department’s continued efforts of responding to the relatively recent floods that happened in the month of April and May.
During the meeting committee members gave their inputs on the presentations that were made by the department on matters such as the:
• 4th Quarter Report 2021/22 (Financial and Non-Financial)
• Expenditure to-date
• Responses to Finance and Scopa Resolutions
• Responses to Youth Parliament Resolutions for 2021
• Recent Disasters
• uMkhanyakude, Newcastle and Abaqulusi Municipalities
• The establishment and Reconstitution of the Traditional and Kingship Councils, The Provincial House and The Local House of Traditional and KhoiSan Lead,
- and on the installation of Traditional Leaders.
The reports tabled by the Department were all very well received by the members of the Committee, notwithstanding the various strategic input and comments that they raised on each of the reports Speaking during the meeting, MEC Hlomuka commended Committee members for the ongoing guidance that they continue to provide to the department in the execution of its constitutional mandate.